Saturday, May 28, 2011

if wednesdays are waky fridays are freaky


Freaky friday saw the piles
elevate through the miles...
the piles of books are rising to heavenly heights, their towering looks make me feel like I am in a temple in Athens, praying to the Greek Gods that one of these days I will have all the books into their places and off the floor.

Friday was a very strange day, for a couple of reasons; first of all an old Texan man wearing his Texan accent and Texan hat, purchased an old beat up copy of "the joy of cooking" telling me that a long time ago he used to know the lady whose name was written inside.
Not only he managed to find the book, rummaging into the various sale boxes that were laying outside, but he was as surprised as me when I told him that the reason why I had that book was because my neighbor is that woman's grand son, who took me to her house to pick up her books.
The other interesting coincidence happened when a customer asked me where he could find a bookstore by the name of: "This is not your grand ma bookstore", in the vicinities.
To my baffled expression followed my negative reply:
not only I am not aware of such a bookstore being in the vicinities, but I have never heard of such a bookstore in town at all.
However for some obscure reason the name rung a bell that drove me crazy for a couple of hours, until I realized that the day before , while cleaning up some books and looking through the pages to see what kind of treasures I might find, I happened to find a bookmark slash business card of a bookstore named " this is not your grand ma bookstore", located somewhere in the States I cannot remember where.
Freaky Friday ah?

Quiz of the post:
what is the most frequent reason why people have to re-purchase a title?
A. the previous copy was water damaged
B. the previously owned copy was smeared with coffee stains and/or baby food stains and/or wine stains
C.The previous copy was chewed by a mouse and/or a cat and/or a giraffe
D. the previously owned copy was lent to somebody and never returned

the correct answer is D.
If you got it right you just won a groupon and/or coupon and/or advantage card to redeem at the store so that, if you are the one who never returned that copy of The catcher in the rye, it is now your chance to pretend you have never lost that copy and you've also read it and loved it,
and if you are the one that never got their college copy of David Copperfield back , you might find it at the store,with your name in it still.

Read on

3 comments:

  1. Il texano potrebbe essere la personificazione del Cappellaio Matto e il Freaky Friday l’ennesima trasposizione del romanzo di Mary Rodgers, ambientata fra gli scaffali e i titoli della Lamplight Books.
    Per quanto riguarda il quiz devo informarla, gentile e ancor giovane libraia, che esiste una quinta e ahimè inquietante ragione per cui un libro viene riacquistato.
    Il lettore, non più giovane in questo caso, è dimentico di possederne un paio di edizioni imboscate in seconda fila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahahah!!! e' vero, le copie multiple, non ci avevo pensato.Ma quelle non sono dovute all'eta', fa tutto parte del gioco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tu dici eh?
    Nel senso che i “tardi” fanno il gioco dei librai, eccerto.

    Mediterò profondamente il concetto, in questi giorni di permanenza in Molise.
    Come potrai immaginare, il verbo meditare, in presenza di Sergio, Roberto, per non parlare dei toscani sbandellati, comporterà l’uso di un breviario le cui pagine profumino di caciocavallo e Biferno Rosso.
    Ma insomma che ci vuoi fare, saremo anche gente senz’arte né parte.
    Lasciateci almeno cantare, con la chitarra in mano!

    ReplyDelete